We may update this policy from time to time. The latest version will always be published on this page. This version was published on 29th May 2018.
Understanding Our Customers
So that we can provide a better service, we want to understand the shopping patterns of our customers, how customers select the products and services they ultimately buy, which apps and technology customers prefer to use, and how successful our advertising and promotional campaigns have been.
Information we collect from you and how we use it
Data gathered by this website
We gather and use certain information about individuals who use this website. We use this information to provide products and services; to enable certain website functions; to better understand how visitors use this website; and to present timely and relevant information to visitors.
We may collect the following information:
- Website usage data
- Information about individual visitors such as your IP address and details of your browser and device
Data you send to us via this website
This website may collect the following information via its contact and enquiry form features (use of these features is at your own discretion):
Information you give us when you:
- Your name
- Your contact information including email address, address and telephone number(s)
- The name and website address of your company
- Other written information related to your enquiry that you provide
- Place an enquiry or order over the phone
- Place an enquiry or order online (either as a guest or by using your account)
- Enter a competition
- Sign up for news and oﬀers
- Request a free giveaway e.g. ebook from us
How do we use the information we collect on you?
We may use the information provided by you in a variety of ways, including:
Disclosing Your Information
- To answer your questions or provide you with information you have requested
- To process your order or manage your account
- To help with any questions if you have started an order but not completed it
- To provide a more personalised online experience by showing you the most relevant products and oﬀers
- To keep track of sales and enquiries
- To monitor how our customers transact with us love the phone or online, for example by checking who has redeemed vouchers or bought items using our website or over the phone (for more information see Understanding Our Customers below)
- To contact you for views on our products and services
- To keep you informed about the products and services that we oﬀer (for more information on your choices see Keeping You Informed below)
- For market research purposes, by tracking activity on our site or over the phone (on an anonymous basis) to identify trends and/or improve usefulness and content
- To notify you about important changes to our site or services
- To send you marketing and promotional material: by post, phone, SMS or emails - about products, services, offers and other things we think might be relevant to you. We value our relationship, so we do our best to only send you information we think may be of interest to you
- To contact you via email or telephone for market research purposes
- To contact you in response to a specific enquiry
- For our own internal records
- Social media: If you interact with ScobiesDirect through social media we may use your information to help us communicate
- Comply with legal obligations: This might include providing information to HMRC, preventing fraud, money laundering and doing what our Regulators require. We only do this where strictly necessary to comply with these legal obligations
We will not share your personal information with or sell it to third-party marketers.
- Where applicable, we may disclose your personal information to any member of our group (Scobie & Junor (Estd. 1919) Ltd and Scobie & Junor (Ireland) Ltd and Foodmaker Limited). This includes, where applicable, our subsidiaries, our holding company and its other subsidiaries (if any).
- We may also disclose your personal information to third parties:
- Where we sell any or all of our business and/or our assets to a third party.
- Where we are legally required to disclose your information.
- To assist fraud protection and minimise credit risk.
We may use the following third-party service providers named below to process and store your data:
David M Thomson Haulage Limited, which we use to manage order deliveries &/or samples to our customers and prospects.
Hughes Transport, which we use to manage order deliveries &/or samples to our customers and prospects.
PCAPredict, which we use to pre-populate the address fields on the Checkout page.
Credit Reference Agencies.
If you want to open an account with us, we’ll perform credit and identity checks on you with a credit reference agency (‘CRA’).
To do this, we’ll supply your personal information to the CRA and they’ll give us information about you. This will include information from your credit application and about your financial situation and history. The CRA will supply us with public data (including the electoral register) as well as shared credit, financial situation, financial history and fraud prevention information.
We’ll use this information to:
We may continue to exchange information about you with CRAs while you have a relationship with us. This information may be supplied to other organisations by the CRA.
- assess your creditworthiness and whether you can afford to have an account with us
- verify the accuracy of the data you’ve provided
- prevent criminal activity, fraud and money laundering
- manage your account(s)
- trace and recover debts
- make sure any offers provided to you are appropriate to your circumstances
When the CRA receive a search from us they’ll place a search footprint on your credit file that may be seen by other lenders.
The identities of the CRA, their role as fraud prevention agencies, the data they hold, the ways in which they use and share personal information, data retention periods and your data protection rights with CRA are explained in detail at www.experian.co.uk/crain CRAIN is also accessible from the CRA that we use — visiting the link below will take you to the same CRAIN document:
Failure to pay any invoice(s) from Scobie & Junor may result in your details being passed to a 3rd party organisation, such as a debt collection agency.
Any personal information we hold about you is stored and processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018).
Automated Information: Cookies
A cookie is an automatic identiﬁer which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. This enables our browser to respond to you as an individual and personalise your experience at ScobiesDirect.com to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traﬃc log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us to analyse data about web page traﬃc and improve our website. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes.
Overall cookies help us provide you with a better experience on ScobiesDirect.com by enabling us to monitor which pages you ﬁnd useful and which you do not. You can choose to accept or decline cookies by modifying your browser settings. However, this may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website’s features.
We use the AdWords and Remarketing Lists features of Google Analytics for Display Advertisers. ScobiesDirect and Google use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on your past visits to our Site. This means that vendors including Google will display ScobiesDirect promotional material on other sites you visit across the Internet.
- Record website usage data
- Identify whether you are signed into our website
- Test content on our website
- Store information about your preferences
- Recognise when you return to our website
You may opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertisers including AdWords and opt-out of customized Google Display Network ads by visiting the Google Ads Preferences Manager. To provide website visitors more choice on how their data is collected by Google Analytics, Google has developed an Opt-out Browser add-on, which is available by visiting Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on, to enable you to opt-out of Google’s programs.
Links to external websites
Our website may contain links to other websites. We have no control of websites outside of scobiesdirect.com. We are not responsible for the content of other websites, or for the protection or privacy of data you submit to them.
We only retain your information for a limited period in order to respond to your query, provide you with the information you require or to send you updated on our products and services for as long as you indicate that you are happy for us to do so.
How your information is protected
We take the protection of your information seriously and have appropriate physical and technological security measures in place to keep it safe.
Internally we restrict access to personal information. Only employees who need the information in order to do their jobs have access to it. Your information will be stored in Europe and will not be transferred to any other location.
- We use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input.
- We never store your payment card details. We reveal only the last ﬁve digits of your payment card numbers when conﬁrming an order. We are required to transmit the entire card number to the appropriate credit card company during order processing.
- When you order goods from ScobiesDirect, via the website or over the phone, we will ask for your marketing preferences as we would like to send you information about other products and services that may be of interest.
We want to ensure that your personal information is accurate and up to date.
Therefore if you think any information we hold about you in incorrect or incomplete, please email or write to us as the address below as soon as possible so we can update our records.
Alternatively you may update your preferences via your account settings.
including limitations on damages, arbitration of disputes and application of the laws of Scotland.
If you have any concerns about privacy at ScobiesDirect email a description to the address below and we will try to resolve it.
Our business changes constantly.
This website is operated by Scobie & Junor (Estd. 1919) Ltd. You may request details of the personal information we hold about you. If you would like a copy of it please contact us.
Scobie & Junor (Estd. 1919) Ltd
1 Singer Road